The Gavel - October, 2019
|TM Spotlight - Sandy Yong|
Sandy's late father, an immigrant from China, taught her to never buy things you can't afford. And that it's not how much you earn, but how much you save. As a teenager, Sandy worked several part-time jobs which, after scholarships, paid for university.
Read Sandy's story.
Learn more about presenting a united Toastmasters front.
|Presenting a United Front - Our Brand, Toastmasters Brand
Branding discipline means presenting a consistent image to the public. When branding fails it can easily snowball out of control. Consider the 2018 H&M add featuring a black child wearing a 'coolest monkey in the jungle' sweatshirt.
How can you utilize Lead Generation?
|Help District 60 Grow Strong
The Lead Generation Group (LGG) is new to District 60. The objective of the LGG is to help members of District 60 understand and discover organizations that you think may need a Toastmasters club. To review a list of LGG members and see who has submitted club leads check out our web and Facebook pages! Give us your leads! GUESS!
As part of our lead generation initiative, you can win a TI bag for starting a club!
|District 60 Executive Elections|
District 60 will be electing five trio members - one District Director, two Program Quality Directors and two Club Growth Directors - plus nine Division Directors for the 2020-2021 Toastmasters year. The expanded leadership team is needed to help Districts 60 and 86 reform from two large districts to three small, more manageable ones. There is no better time to apply for district leadership and hone your leadership skills.
2020-2021 District Leadership Opportunities
|District 60 Reformation|
Reformation is here! After several years of careful analysis and planning, Districts 60 and 86 are moving forward with a joint reformation. Effective July 1, 2021, the two Districts will reform into three, and a new sister-District 123 will be added.
How does the reformation affect you?
|REMINDER: Toastmasters International Speaking Contest new rules|
- Rule changes are made once a year by administrative protocol with the approval of the International President-Elect and the Chief Executive Officer
- The 2019-2010 Speech Contest Rule Book
- The Speech Contest Rule Book - Explanation of Changes
|INCENTIVES: Win Toastmasters International Gift Certificates and Swag
- Quality Clubs
- Club Membership Growth
- Member Education
|LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES: |
- Leadership projects, which hone vision development, goal-setting, conflict management and team building, are a requirement of the DTM and various Pathways paths.
- Wanted: Webmaster; Of the Year Awards Chair, and more
- Important new changes to Pathways
- Newly minted clubs: 1) MMC Speakers Toastmaster Club (Division C, Area 23) sponsored by Sandeep Battu and mentored by Stephen Schroeder and 2) Toastmasters Whitby Pros - Division E - Area 45 sponsered by Lee-Anne Leslie & Tracey McWatt and mentored by Joan Winter & Karin Czyruk
- Have an Open House! Invite your guests to participate in a Speechcraft program so they can grasp the value and utilize the benefits that the Toastmasters educational program delivers. At the end of the SpeechcraSpeechcraft ft program, they join your club.
- Speechcraft programs are customizable. Either way you look at this program, it is a win-win situation! October is Open House month! Near the end of your Open House, ask your guest if they would be interested in sampling what a Toastmasters club is like for 4, 6 or eight weeks, you decide. Who knows, maybe by the end of the program they will become members! This program can run this month or in the future! See the Speechcraft Webinar for more tips.
- Open House Month continues (until October 31)
- Toastmasters Club Officer Training Extended (Nov 1 - Feb 29)
- District 60 Club Officer Training (save the date: Nov 21)
- Area Directors Round 1 Club Visits World Headquarters submission deadline (Nov 30)
- District 60 Toastmasters Leadership Institute (TLI) & Club Officer Training (save the date: Jan 11)
- Human Resources Professional Assoc. (HRPA) Conference & Trade Show, one of Canada's largest conferences and the world’s second-largest HR conference (Jan 22-23, 2020)
- District 60 Annual Conference (Apr 18-19)
- Go to D60 Calendar
|What's Happening in D60
See Scarborough TM Club Officers Inauguration Party (left); Apples & Toast; CHAAT; Moneris; Royal Lunch & Learn