The Gavel - March 2020
Check on updates regarding District events and other matters of concern to the members of District 60.
- Conference cancelled!
- Online meeting tools
- Dues renewal extension
To read more, click here.
|Nominated Candidates are announced for 2020-21 District Leadership roles|
|Pathways to Success|
Susan Smiley was pleasantly surprised by the amount of content offered in each Pathways project and the positive impact it's had on her life. “I used the projects in Visionary Communications as an impetus to complete a personal project I had been working on for several years.“ She examined each project with an eye to the evaluation criteria and how she could improve herself. In the process, Susan shared information about many aspects of her life, from climbing to the top of the Potala Palace in Tibet, to adopting a donkey at The Donkey Sanctuary,
To read the rest of Susan's story, click here
To learn more about Pathways trainers, click here
|D60 Communication and Leadership Award
Winner Cindy Yelle
Cindy Yelle, a former Canadian Olympian, was recently named CEO of the Canadian Olympic Foundation, the official charitable organization of Team Canada.
Before joining the Foundation, Cindy was considered one of Canada’s leading professionals in health-based philanthropy. Previous roles included Senior Vice President at the SickKids Foundation and President and Chief Executive Officer of the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute Foundation.
She was the executive director of advancement, Faculty of Engineering, University of Toronto, was inducted into the Ontario Aquatic Hall of fame in 2001, and has served on the board of the Toronto Zoo since 2009.
To learn more click here
|Karim Premji: 2020 George Keenan Award Winner|
As an e-business Project Management Professional, Karim joined Toastmasters as his club’s charter SAA. He wanted to improve his presentation and meeting management skills. While attending his first TLI, he quickly found the hidden meaning – Where Leaders are Made!
For the past 16 years, he has served as a club and district officer 49-times, provided formal support to 29 clubs by being a Sponsor, Mentor and Coach. He has also sponsored over 150 members and received 169 Education Awards including 13 DTMs.
To read more, click here
| Brooklin TM Wins The Guest Packet Contest |
As a leader in Human Resources, Pauline Gavilanez recognizes how important the first impression is for a new employee. She brought this attitude to Toastmasters as the Brooklin TM VP of Membership, where she pays close attention to new guests and members.
For the last 12 months, Pauline has been working with club members, guests, and other executives to design packages that would provide newcomers with the right amount of information at the right time (bite-size so not to overwhelm our new guests).
To learn more, click here.
|To learn more, click here
|D60 - 2020 Of The Year Awards|
To learn more click here
|Each year, four Toastmasters are honoured with the highest recognition from our District - for their contributions as Toastmaster, President, Area Director and Division Director.
Do you want to have great success for yourself, your members, club, area, division and our District this term? If so, consider working towards the criteria for the Of The Year Awards. The 5 criteria used each year are: 1) Club & Membership Building & Retention; 2) Distinguished Status; 3) Education & Training; 4) Leadership,
Commitment & Support; and 5) PR
|Newly Chartered Club ONTechU TM|
Newly chartered club ONTechU Toastmasters needed a way to get their name out there. In an effort increase guests attendance, they set up a booth at the ‘Ontario Tech University Clubs and Societies Fair’ held on campus. Their goals: To stand out; Make a statement; and Gather social media contact information.
connections with many of them. From this event the club has seen many new guests come to their meetings and have had two new members join their club.
With the help of rental mascot suits, they transformed Cookie Monster and Elmo into honouree ONTechU Toastmasters members for the day. Cookie Monster and Elmo mingled with Fair attendees, taking pictures, selfies and social media connections with many of them. From this
event the club has seen many new guests come to their meetings and have had two new members join their club.
2020 OTY Awards, click here
- Area District Visits: Complete 100% of club visits and submit all reports by Mar 15, 2020 to earn a gift certificate plus eligibility in a draw for a prize valued at $100
- Clubs Officer training: Earn a TI notebook for each club officer when all 7 of 7 club officers attend training between Nov 1, 2019 and Feb 29, 2020
- Pathways Member Incentives: various awards (pins, notebooks, etc.) for different levels of Path completion
- For more on D60 incentives programs, click here.
|SPECIAL INCENTIVES FOR CLUB SUCCESS:|
- Club Buddy Program: Add 5 new members to the Little Buddy Club between Feb 1 and Jun 30, 2020 to receive a US$25 TI gift certificate for each Club
- Membership Renewal: When a club sends in their April renewals on time, then every member in that club is eligible to receive the audiobook "As A Man Thinketh" by James Allen and free access to Mark Bowden's Presentation Skills for Leaders training
- New Membership (Talk Up Toastmasters Campaign): Earn a Club pizza party by adding 5 new members (applications and payments submitted) between Feb 1 and Mar 31, 2020.
- For more on D60 incentives programs, click here
- District Realignment Vote: The fourth draft will be voted on by members of the District Council on April 18 for implementation on July 1, 2020. To see the impact on your club, download the Alignment Proposal or provide feedback to your Division Representative or the Alignment Chair, click here.
- Go to Upcoming Events Calendar
|What's Happening in D60
North York Project Management Contestents (shown), Advanced 60; ONTechU